Page 1 of 1
Wheel Questions \  04 t-bird rims

04 t-bird rims

Wheel Questions Q & A
views 123
replies 7
following 4

Psycopath   +1y
my dads lookin to buy 18" or 19" chrome rims for his 04 t-bird.i measured and it needs a +60 offset to tuck, has anyone heard of a CHROME rim with that high of an offset. i cant find anything. and he does not want polished.

or even some pics of newer t-birds with rims that dont stick out?

he might bag it someday so he wants to make sure to get the proper wheels.
dssur   +1y
+60 on what width? How did you even come up with that number? Did you measure from the mounting surface to the inside of the fender? Because that is frontspacing, not offset.

I will help you, just give me more info.
Psycopath   +1y
on an 8" rim. yea i measured from the mounting face to the inner fender lip, and figured out if the mounting face was 60mm to the outside of center on a 8" rim it would clear.

is this a weird way of measuring? this is how i measured for my truck and it worked out perfect.
mine are detata sirens with a +50mm offset and i cant find anything even close to a +60
dssur   +1y
well, thats not offset.

offset is the distance from the centerline of the rim to the mounting surface. What you measured is the front spacing. 60mm is 2.35". So if you bought a 7" wide wheel it will actually be 8 inches wide, half of that is 4", subtract the frontspacing and you are left with 1.65 is the offset (5.65 backspace) and in mm that is 42mm offset.

Repeat that math for any size wheel, becuase a +42mm 7 inch wide wheel will fit, and an 8 inch wide wheel with +42 will not. Offset required changes with wheel width, for example you would need 8+1=9/2=4.5-2.35=2.15*25.6= 55mm offset.
Psycopath   +1y
naw, i took into account that a 8" rim is actualy 9".
and it is +60 i am sure, not front spacing, i did not get that # from the fender-mounting face.
it has to be +60mm off of center on an 8" rim (actualy 9")
even the stock 7" rim says +60 on the back of it, and it has 3/4" clearance. therefore 8" would clear by 1/4".
krazeryn   +1y
Here is an '03 built by Foose:
post photo
Psycopath   +1y
i looked into the speedbird rims already, foose (mht) only makes them in 20" which doesnt have enough tire for my dad, which is why he would like a 19 or 18.
not only that they want like $900 a rim or somethin?
dssur   +1y
dont buy 19's, the money you save over 20's will be spent twice over on tires. 20" tires are cheap compared to 19's, my friend just got rid of his 19's on his BMW and went to 20's because the whole set of 20s with tires was cheaper than 4 19" tires.
Page 1 of 1