Page 1 of 2
Wheel Questions \  Clearing Polished Aluminum

Clearing Polished Aluminum

Wheel Questions Q & A
views 245
replies 14
following 11

mindlissmetalfab   +1y
I am taking my wheels to get polished next week cuz they are all beat from kicking around the shop. The guy who is doing them recommended putting a coat of clear on them after they are polished to protect them and make them easier to clean...good idea or no? I had never heard of it before.
dragggn   +1y
bad idea. they will be too smooth for the clear to stick.. first chip and they will peal not to mention maounting them with out scratches.. zookseal (sp) is the stuff you want spendy though
(when you paint aluminum, dupunt offers stuff called "aluminum prep" to etch the surface, turns it grey and dull)
mindlissmetalfab   +1y
OK. yeah I was worried about it flaking off. I figured there had to be a reason why nobody else does it. The guy said hes done a couple sets but who knows how long it would last. Oh well luckily my wheels are probably pretty easy to polish.
biguglywagon   +1y
You could try clear powdercoating. I have never done it personally, but i heard it works great. Since isn't painted on it shouldn't flake. I am thinking of doing my Intro's because i am sick of polishing them.
mindlissmetalfab   +1y
Hmm. Kind of a big risk to take though but it would be slick. my powder guy will probably just tell me to go for it cuz he likes taking my money. haha. maybe I'll look for more info.
bodydropped85   +1y
chrome them or zoopseal it. u can get zoopsseal from eastwood company

www.eastwood.com
twistofcain   +1y
i use wenol metal polish .....it is awesome stuff
beyond static   +1y
there is no sprayable clear coat on the market that is warranteed/gauranteed/designed to work over bare aluminum. There's a good chance it will oxidize and flake off. Clear powdercoat is the only actual coating that will work. My dad's got quotes from numerous powder coat shops about getting his intro's done.
unfadeble   +1y
just wipe them down every so often with windex and a cloth baby diaper
bodydropped85   +1y
chrome them