Wheel Questions \  Flaking Chrome

Flaking Chrome

Wheel Questions Q & A
views 125
replies 6
following 5

killersloth   +1y
Edited: 12/20/2007 2:58:19 PM by PHC

I bent a wheel on my Ranger a while back so I was going to get some wheels from my friend that are on his 1998 Acura TL. The chrome is coming off them though so I was thinking about just spray painting them. What would be best to keep the chrome from coming off after painting? Should I try sanding them?

Also he thinks they are 7 wide with a 65mm offset. Will this work on my stock Ranger? Im going to test fit them but just thought I would ask. Thanks.
killersloth   +1y
bump... anyone?
TwistedPhil   +1y
Once that chrome starts peeling, it's very hard to stop it! I've had good luck on bumpers with super glue (or any CA adhesive)- it dries clear, and it's thin enough to get under the edge of the chrome to bond it a bit with the metal.
As for sanding and painting- have fun. Chrome is very hard stuff, and you'll have to rough it up a bit for the paint to stick. If this is just something you're doing while you shop for your "final" wheels, then go for it. Otherwise, just try to find some wheels that aren't peeling and save the time and expense. Good luck!
-Phil
waynehammer   +1y
well if you heavily paint and clear them you should have any more chipping for a long time
neurotic   +1y
WELL YOUR BEST BET FOR STOPING THE CHROME FROM PEELING IT GETTING ALL THE CHROME OFF THE WHEEL FIRST BY SANDBLASTING OR SOMETHIGN OF THAT SORT.
Tacon19s   +1y
yeah what those guys said about the chrome...the wheels have more than enough of an offset.
killersloth   +1y
These are just a temp thing since I'm getting tired of the wobble that I get on the freeway with my stock wheels but who knows I may have them on for a while. They are going to cost me very little, or maybe nothing at all, so I'm not worried about it not working too well. I was going to get new wheels, but I think I'm going to wait until I figure out if I'm going to lift it or not (since I would get wider wheels) and the tires I have are pretty new.

I know they won't stick out, but I was wondering if they were too far in? Would it look WAY out of place, or maybe even rub when turning?

Thanks for the replies
Page 1 of 1