Page 2 of 2
Wheel Questions \  Wheel design?

Wheel design?

Wheel Questions Q & A
views 536
replies 17
following 12

LowBlazin   +1y
Ok, well besides it costing too much or not making enough what program should i choose. Im having a hard time deciding between Solidworks and Pro/Engineer.
bjscustombillet   +1y
Id go with solid works. Pro E is crazy expensive to buy a seat. Just my two cents. I use it everyday and it has been able to anything i have ever needed it to do.
gravity5   +1y
Even getting wheel companies to buy your designs is hard...Dont be discouraged though, it has gaken me a few designs and a few months but I am finally drawing up what I think is viable and hopefully they will make the market by fall if they are approved.
jdm customs   +1y
all you ogtta do is design some killer 6 lug high offset wheels cheaper than most custom offset billets and you got a market. mazda and nissan guys are stuck with gmc, navigator wheels. without paying wayyyy too much for a set of custom billets.
gravity5   +1y
Ive designed about ten euro styled but 6 lug high offset wheels, the market is so slim for them that no one would pick up the designs.
lucky_brew   +1y
where can you buy blanks? ive got someone thatll cut wheels for me for free but ive gotta have the blanks and a design.

nick, we might could colaborate something on this gig! the guy is my neighbor. ive shown a few peeps his site. hes got over 3 million in machinery. they do cnc, tool and die. pm me and ill give you his website.
FXDGRND   +1y
The problem with designing wheels and production is mainly material and assembly. We had a vendor for production work. But material prices have constantly shot up. The blank market is almost monopolized and they raise the cost of the material to where it isnt viable to make them.

You can do a start up and outsource to a company like US Wheel or Intro. Or do the cast route in china. That way when you have wheels that don't make it through the machining its on their dime not yours. There were some rumors that there would be a company importing rotary forged centers for insanely low prices from China but that so far hasnt materialized.

If you just want to sell the designs good luck. Most would just slighly modify it and call it theirs.

LowBlazin   +1y
Yea, was looking at outsourcing. Not looking to sell designs. Lucky we'll have to keep in touch bout. Im hoping to take a Solidworks training class next week. The guy says what he'll teach me in a week will better than a semester at the comm college and more than enough to get a grasp on the program. Also gonna pick up the US Tire and Rim publications to start reading.