Page 1 of 2
Wheel Questions \  painting chrome wheels

painting chrome wheels

Wheel Questions Q & A
views 806
replies 17
following 14

nryota   +1y
i dont know if this has been asked before but heres the deal. got some chrome wheels. dont want chrome. want to paint or powdercoat. prob with powder is the center caps are plastic. plastic will melt, no?. sooo how do i paint chrome? any suggestions?

lost cause   +1y
Edited: 8/11/2008 7:24:26 PM by lost cause

Alsa corp, has a special "clear for chrome"......I haven't used it but it may do the trick

I've had great luck using a clear adhesion promoter,...and then base coat- clear coat
nryota   +1y
so scuff the wheel, use a clear adhesion promotor, then base and clear?

lost cause   +1y
No just super clean..... and then use wax and grease remover.....then the adesion promoter-base-clear.....BUT I've only used that method for Kandy Chrome or an Aniodized look

So yeah I would probly sand the shit out of it otherwise
nryota   +1y
well i was lookin to paint the wheels the same color as the truck. the sunburst orange from gmc. i am not a painter i am a welder, haah, so this is a bit confusing.

ShakinPlates   +1y
Any suggestions on this if the rims are pitted? My chrome is stained and pitted and I just want to coat them satin black. Could i scuff and primer? Doesnt seem like it would work though. Is there anything chemical wise that will strip chrome?
SHAVED TOUR   +1y
All I did was scuff the chrome(not down to copper),cleaned very well, used adesion promoter, then just painted them! But still to this day I have not powered washed them, just hand jobs only,thats how I roll lol.
They have been painted for almost a year now, with no cons.
Hope this helps!
ShakinPlates   +1y
do you have pics?
locaddy   +1y
Id do that clear4chrome if it were mine. Just clear it then scuff that to lay your other base/clear on. That way the chrome might still be ok if someone ever wanted to make them chrome again. that looks like some cool stuff.