threads
Page 1 of 1
Wheel Questions \  Split rims.. whats wrong with 'em?

Split rims.. whats wrong with 'em?

Wheel Questions Q & A
views 395
replies 3
following 3

dragggn   +1y
Edited: 10/12/2008 7:57:51 AM by dragggn

I was thinking of running some old Split rims on my son's 61 Panel,, I have heard the the guys at the rims shop dont like 'em "cuz they are dangerous"? whats up with that? whats wrong with 'em? could a guy run a few well placed beads on the seams and call it good or what?
THE_CRUCK   +1y
You talking about the old style spoke split rims? Most wheel and tire shops won't touch them because they have to be clamped together and then a bolt holds it in place. With the tool for them it's not too bad. I have never heard of them being dangerous though. You could probably find a classic and antique auto shop that can handle the task. As for welding them, I'm sure someone could as long as it is round and true when done. Dunno if any of that helps.
cuzican   +1y
They are very dangerous, if not put together right before inflating, they can come apart violently, shooting the ring off fast enough to kill. This is why no tire shops will touch them, to much risk and liability. Several years ago the place I used to work had someone killed by one. The ring flew off while he was inflating it and it caught him in the chin picking him up and throwing him back about 6 feet. As for welding them, it's not possible the correct relief to get the tire on it is not there, for lack of a better description it's kinda like a true bead lock.
Page 1 of 1