Page 1 of 2
Wheel Questions \  steel semi wheels

steel semi wheels

Wheel Questions Q & A
views 1386
replies 10
following 8

pmiller   +1y
   I might have asked this question before.  Has anyone out there milled down steel wheels for semi's?

bodydropped85   +1y

cant. the onese that have lowpro  tires are streched, and i wouldnt do that.

Lockone   +1y

James is right. There isnt enough material on the steel wheels to machine the beads.

pmiller   +1y

Can't?  That blows.  So that means you can run steel on the inside and aluminum on the outside. 

NIGHTMARE73   +1y

IVE SEEN IT DONE ! DONT KNOW HOW , BUT THERES A BABY BLUE PRIMERED DUALLY RUNNING AROUND WITH WHITE STEELIES 22'S ON IT

NIGHTMARE73   +1y
Edited: 2/20/2009 1:47:34 PM by NIGHTMARE73

HERE I FOUND A PIC FROM LAKEFRONT
post photo
ahab   +1y

Yup those are stretched.  The tire doesnt sit on the bead of the wheel.  the steel belts that go around the bead of the tire can break and you tire will pop off the rim like a bomb.  The ones that have milled aluminum wheels run them on all six.  no steel inners

Lockone   +1y
No low pro tires on steel semis at all. If you want to run steel inners, you will have to run 16" or 17" factory inners with a matched tire size.   I put a 265/35/22 on a steel semi just to see how much is actually stretched the belt of the tire. I let it sit aired up in the shop for about 2-3 weeks. Let the air out and didnt even have to break the beads off with a tire machine shovel. Took that tire and mounted it on one of my machined Aluminum wheels and I couldnt get it to hold air due to the belts being streched out of shape. Just shows how much they bend out of shape in a little timeframe, not to mention the added stress and wear on the rubber compounds holding the belts in place.   IMO this process == CATOSTROPHIC FAILURE

pmiller   +1y
I know what will happen when they do pop.  I don't want to take a chance like that.  Generally what size tire are guys running on dually's with 24" aluminum milled?  Does any one know the load rating of said tire? 

Lockone   +1y

We normally set our packages up with either 305/35/24s (2500lbs) or 295/35/24s (2400lbs).