Page 1 of 2
Wheel Questions \  can you mill down the offset

can you mill down the offset

Wheel Questions Q & A
views 272
replies 10
following 8

tuckinlugs06   +1y
ok i got a question i read some where that a 38mm offset can be milled down to a 40 is that possable
Low_SST   +1y
Thats moving in the wrong direction...

If your +38 now you cant go to +40 because that would require adding 2mm of material to the hub face.
scotto79   +1y
you measure from the lip of the inside of the rim to the hub, so taking off 2mm would be going in the right direction.
dssur   +1y
Originally posted by notlowyet

you measure from the lip of the inside of the rim to the hub, so taking off 2mm would be going in the right direction.

thats backspace, but offest is measured from the center of the wheel to the mounting surface, so its similar.

If you add 2mm to + offset you would be moving the mounting surface further away from the centerline, so yes it would take a +38 to a +40.

But why? What I mean is, two mm is like a gnat penis, a little more than 1/16th of an inch. If 2mm will solve your clearance problems, well, that would be amazing.

Besides, the lug holes are drilled to a specific depth, and that is somewhere where a 1/16th WOULD make a big difference in strength.
tuckinlugs06   +1y
well see i found some rims for my truck and they are 38 offset and i ask everyone and they say only 40 offset ...
ahab   +1y
If a 40 will work then a 38 will be fine. Most places who want your wheels to not fall off your truck will not machine a wheel that already has been drilled. The lenso 20s I have are machined from a 38 to a 48. This was done before the pattern was drilled. Most wheel companys bring in limited suppy of blank wheels for special applications. Offset also depends on your rims width too. If the wheel is the same width than a 38 will work but if it is wider it wont, if its skinnyer it will. IS it for the toyota?
dssur   +1y
yes, ahab has nailed it exactly. If you want to machine offset do it BEFORE drilling the lugs. And 38-40mm is almost the same, like I said 1/16th off. Good show.
balcar   +1y
Wheels technologies here in Austin milled some from a 0 offset to a +15 for me. They plugged the wholes machined the wheel, and redrilled it. Ran on it for 2 years without problems. Best to do it before hand like ahab says though.
tuckinlugs06   +1y
ya they are for my yota ...not sure of the width ill find out if i run 20's what width would i need
tuckinlugs06   +1y
what about 18x8 38mm offset