Page 1 of 2
Ford Trucks \  mustang II front end question

mustang II front end question

Ford Trucks Make Specific
views 6338
replies 16
following 10

lowjoe74   +1y
I'm not to familiar with the whole front end swap for my 94 ranger , but i need to lay it out on the 20's since its not low enough. I found a Mustang II-type front suspension with rack & pinion steering and i was wondering what else i need to put it on the truck. Any information will be gladly appreciated fa sho!
maz duh   +1y

You will probably have a hard time getting the lift you will need with the M2 setup. I would suggest a toyota clip as an alternative, one of my friends put an 87 toyota clip on his bronco 2 and it works good, cycles 12 inches of travel too. It was a pretty good fit to the stock chassis as well, he clipped it from the firewall forward.
lowjoe74   +1y

What years will work just an 87, or can i use other years to?
SSM-Webmaster   +1y
Just did a mustang II front end on my buddies 94 ranger... I wouldnt use anything else the geometry is better than a toyota one.. he clears a 20inch wheel with a 35 series tire by about 1/2 of an inch with a little less than 3 degrees of change in camber through his entire travel.... the hardest task of using this susp. is geting the cross member in it will require a bit of cuting as well as narowing of the cross member (if your using your existing frame rails ) and youll have to make new motor mounts ... the best part about this set up is  the bitching front brakes you have the oppurtunity of running  (which were included in the kit he got off ebay) not to mention the rack and pinion steering..  also this set up can be put together for fairly cheap at hot rod  and other car sawp meets
lowjoe74   +1y

Thanks kr1s will this work?  http://sanmarcos.craigslist.org/pts/1107139927.html

SSM-Webmaster   +1y
Im sure you could make that work but youd probably like a boxed crossmember and tubular control arms for what you intend to do   this is the crossmember we used  (someone at a swap meet had this for about $80 and we motified those upper spring pockets to be bag mounts as well as the upper control arm mounts)    http://www.fulltiltstreetrods.com/cross_members.htm    he also lucked out finding full tilt street rods (on that same website)  tuular control arms spindle and brake kit on ebay that some one was selling for like $350 i think and the rack and pinion was a craigs list find for like $120 new   unfortunatley hes from japan and left this morning for 3wks to do some work there so I dont have any of the exact info from him as of right now sorry  read up theres lots of info this is a common conversion for both hot rods and minis    good luck 
maz duh   +1y

You can use any 84-95 toyota pickup front clip for the swap. The toy front suspension has a lug pattern that matches the ranger as well (the M2 is a 4 lug stock)
SunsetRanger   +1y
my toyota clip cost $200 from the firewall forward. I get roughly 9" of lift however we are still using the stock upper and lower control arms. With after market arms you can get upwards of 15" of lift. How my truck is setup there is almost no camber change through the cycle of the suspension.  So essentially I have $350 dollars into my toyota swap where a M2 swap is going to run you about a grand or so once you start piecing it all out. Also you can press the toyota studs out and the ranger studs pound right in. No changing anyting..  Here is my truck with a toyota frame.. Also the motor mounts are made by a company called Auto Fab.. If you need them they have TONS of them, and a lot of them for Rangers as well.. 
post photo
lowjoe74   +1y

thanks for the info....now i just need shop around to see what a shop would charge to do this...im thinking im goin to go with a yota clip for sure
bodydropped85   +1y

i didnt know the ranger studs fit, interesting....