threads
Page 1 of 2
Dually Projects \  My "phantom of paradise" phantom dually project.

My "phantom of paradise" phantom dually project.

Dually Projects
views 10561
replies 14
following 7

hawaii 5-low   +1y
Aloha,

Howzit,
K this is my phantom dually project. I began working on um a couple weeks ago.
I going take this 96 crew cab....

thread post photo

And make it into one phantom dually crew cab short bed!!

Heres the progress so far.

I get these tires and rims here...

thread post photo

I ordered a pair of wheel spacers a couple weeks ago and after going through some measurement issues with having the right bolt pattern I needed sent to me and having to send them back I finally was able to get the right ones and put on the spacers, center line rims and M/T tires.

Heres the pic with the bed off the truck. I sold the bed in hopes of getting a 99 chevy dually short bed. The person when flake on me so I ended up having for buy another plain bed. But now since I picked up another bed I'm putting plan "B" into works. I'm gonna get some older 70's chevy step side fenders, mark them up on my truck and custom fit my trucks body style and weld them on. walla!! customs dually bed!!!

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

One video of me taking the truck for a short around the block spin.

luv2xclr8   +1y
Like the "Meat" out back, Buddy had a
Phantom, looks like a real good start !
someotherguy   +1y
Stretched half ton frame (probably extended cab?) to fit that crew body, right? I think I see the reinforcements up there behind the cab. Or did it start life as a crew conversion by Centurion? Pretty cool either way.

You probably figured this out already but when you mount dually fenders the driver's side one will cover about 3/4" to 1" of your gas filler door. That's why those Arrowcraft dually conversion fenders have that little cutout in the driver's side. If you want to use OEM fenders you'll have to move the gas door a little bit, or cut it a little bit. My buddy Tim chose to cut his, which requires a little tack top and bottom to keep the face from falling off the hinge. Might work better if you just move it forward a little.

You might need to cut the bedside out for tire clearance, depending on your tire height...to be more like a factory dually bed, example:

I had the bright idea of using some paper lined up exactly with the top body line on the real dually, to make a template for transferring the dually fender mounting holes. Here I am laying it out on the shortbed and using a punch to mark the holes for drilling after Tim cut the bedside:

Came out pretty decent!

Not trying to whore up your thread, that's why I made these just links instead of images directly in the post. But if you haven't already thought about this stuff you might check it out, probably come up with improvements on it, or better ideas. It was the first shortbed I'd ever helped turn into a dually, though Tim did most of the work, I just provided shop space, parts, and ideas. It was done on the cheap and still had a lot more work to be done, but it was drivable and basically complete on the conversion. Moved around pretty nice with the built 502.

Richard
Post was last edited on Dec 27, 2011 01:12. This post has been edited 1 times.
h2omelon(nick)   +1y
Welcome to the site. Nice project.
hawaii 5-low   +1y
Mahalo brah, I see you get one crew cab also, nice! hope mines look as good as yours when I pau (finished)
someotherguy   +1y
Newp! No crew cab half tons by the factory in this body style (GMT400, 88-98 body style.) Centurion made some crew cab conversions with the short bed but I don't know at what spot they stretched the frame. They're kinda rare, too.

The factory did make some crew cab short beds late in the GMT400 series, but they were 1 ton (and if I recall, 3/4 ton) which would be 8 lug. Pretty sure they came in SRW and DRW.

So either someone took one of those pretty uncommon factory crew cabs and swapped all half ton suspension into it...or it's a stretched half ton conversion.

What are the 4th, 6th, and 7th digits of your VIN? That's GVWR, 1/2 thru 1 ton, and body style. That might tell if it's an original crew cab body, or a conversion.

More info on conversions...look in there and you'll see some Centurions that look like your truck.

Richard
nistech414   +1y
Damn seems like someotherguy knows a little about this! Nice project and welcome to the site. Definitely keep us posted with the progress.
hawaii 5-low   +1y

They are E 1 4
lockone   +1y
Didn't make any 1/2 tons in that style that I know of. Here is the one I did several years ago.

Stretched it around 3 foot.
comegetsome   +1y
you should put semis on the front and super singles on the rear good start