threads
Page 2 of 2
Dually Projects \  My "phantom of paradise" phantom dually project.

My "phantom of paradise" phantom dually project.

Dually Projects
views 10567
replies 14
following 7

someotherguy   +1y
Something the board doesn't like about what I'm trying to post so I'll keep f'in with it until it doesn't hang when I hit "submit" ...stay tuned for the final version.

4th digit E is GVWR range 6,001-7,000 lbs

6th digit 1 is 1/2 ton

7th digit 4 is 2 door regular cab

So there you have it...someone stretched a 1/2 ton regular cab into a crew. Something else that's a good indicator is your lack of cab marker lights, which would be required if it were originally a cab from a dually, though of course crew cabs came in 3/4 ton and 1 ton SRW (which wouldn't have cab markers either) so that doesn't mean a whole lot. Finally, can't tell whether your roof has them or not but factory crew cabs have visible stiffening ribs in the roof panel, just like a Suburban does.

Most likely Centurion built it though I don't know enough about them to say what signs might prove it. I bet some people over on that conversiontrucks.net site I posted could tell you what else to look for.

By the way, the VIN decoding I just did is easy - I posted a VIN decoding card for all the details I know so far, over in the "Tech Writeups" section here.

Richard
hawaii 5-low   +1y
whoa, brah I didnt know all this about my truck! mahalo for all the info brah!! I get one question, how they make the extra cab any way? they fab one up from scratch or they use another part of a existing truck and ad um on?
someotherguy   +1y
Beats me but one thing I'm pretty sure of is they're not stamping out their own body parts, it costs a damn fortune to make the dies and the presses required to run them are another fortune.

I figured conversiontrucks.net would have more info on this but I just checked, and I've seen more Centurions posted on other sites.

Does yours have the ribs in the roof? One pic I saw of another truck seems to have them but it's hard to tell. I really wouldn't be surprised if they bought a crew cab shell and rear doors from GM, you could do this, it's just damn expensive to buy a cab shell. The only thing I can't figure out is it's fed law you can't tamper with a VIN tag and of course that includes moving the tag to another cab. In most cases if you saw anything that involved needing a VIN it would have an "assigned VIN" sticker instead of the original tag, really going out on a limb here, maybe Centurion got special permission as a manufacturer of sorts?

Lotta speculation, but there's so little solid info out there about these. I didn't even know they existed til maybe a couple years ago.

Richard
hawaii 5-low   +1y

Mahalo once again for all the info.

What made you decide to do all the researching about these trucks in the 1st place?
someotherguy   +1y
Love these trucks (GMT400 body in general) - what started me off was buying and modifying my first one back in '99, then rebuilding after it was stolen/stripped in '05. Took a lot of learning about differences across year models, for parts interchange. Later I opened up a GMT400-only salvage yard and ran it for 2 years. No matter how much you think you know, you learn something every day, if you wanna.

Before these, back in the mid-late 80's I also ran a salvage business strictly around the 60-66 models, which are actually my first favorite. Toughest/best looking trucks GM ever made. IMO.

Click the "Truck shop projects" link in my sig if you have a little time to burn. The '92 is the one I started with, the first out of 6 or 7 of these I've owned in the last 11 years, not including an assload of parts trucks for the business.

Richard