Page 1 of 2
Wheel Questions \  weight

weight

Wheel Questions Q & A
views 233
replies 18
following 6

deathtorice   +1y
I just picked up a set of aluminum wheels/tires that weigh 7.7 pounds less than my stock chrome wheels/tires, and have the same size tire (215/70 14). How much are light weight wheels worth, as far as handling, acceleration, gas mileage, etc...? I am saving 7.7 pounds per corner, 30.8 total. Will it be a noticeable gain in any aspect? Thanks.
dssur   +1y
Well rotational mass is a great thing to save, we all know how an ounce of wheel weight can affect balance at 60mph, thats because that ounce related to POUNDS when spinning. And weight not supported by the springs (such as the wheels, spindles brakes, etc) is called unsprung weight and a weight diet there improves handling.

But for a guy named "deathtorice", I think you need to reprioritize, because the small gains here are not going to amount to much on the street. If you autocrossed, or drove at 9/10ths on a track somewhere, you'd see a benefit. Otherwise, leave the extreme weight diets to Hondas with grapefruit shooters and just enjoy the sharper turn-in you are likely to get.
gravity5   +1y
that is a huge weight savings in both unsprung weight and rotational mass....but what is the MOI of the new wheels as opposed to the old wheels...that will matter as well......

you should notice the car will handle ebtter over bumps....corner slightly better, and brake and accelerate slightly faster....but like russ said unless you drive at 9/10's, like me, you wont notice much.
deathtorice   +1y
MOI? The only reason I got these was for gas mileage. I dont really care too much about the performance gains. It is a truck. A 4cyl truck.
badfish57   +1y
gas mileage..... yeah you'll save $0.0000694 cents for every 400 miles you drive..
dssur   +1y
Originally posted by deathtorice

MOI? The only reason I got these was for gas mileage.

they will do almost nothing for gas mileage. You were better off wanting better acceleration and handling like in your original post, and those two aspects have almost nothing to do with gas mileage. Gas mileage instead depends on long stretches of consistent driving, saving 30 lbs wont help, saving 300 would.
deathtorice   +1y
Originally posted by badfish57

gas mileage..... yeah you'll save $0.0000694 cents for every 400 miles you drive..

every little bit helps. i gained 3/10 of a mpg by putting in a 180
time1   +1y
^^^^^WOW

deathtorice   +1y
Originally posted by TiMe_1

^^^^^WOW

nothin, lol. gas is no longer 79/89/99 a gallon. With prices at the $2.85-3.00 range, every little bit helps. even the last fraction of a mpg.
dssur   +1y
Originally posted by deathtorice

Originally posted by badfish57

every little bit helps. i gained 3/10 of a mpg by putting in a 180