threads
Page 5 of 5
Air Ride Suspensions \  cantilever pics....post them here!!

cantilever pics....post them here!!

Air Ride Suspensions Q & A
views 5962
replies 45
following 29

bagdb2200   +1y
Originally posted by Low_SST

Originally posted by LayedOutDreams

Originally posted by DroptSdime

Originally posted by Master Fabber

Correct me if Im wrong, and I dont know jack about cylinders, Isnt that last pic going to lower the truck as air is filled?

No. They're dual acting cylinders. You can put compressed air into either side of the cylinder so it can lift the truck as the cylinder collapses, or as it extends depending on how you setup the rocker arm/bell crank/pivots or whatever.

Exactly. With the airline connected to that side of the cylinder, when you feed it air, it will pull the piston into the cylinder and therefore be pushing down on the axle and raising the truck.

but thats stupid because its removing the travel as the truck is lifted and NEEDS the travel while driving. you catch my flow yoWhat does it matter which way it goes? Either way you mount them it will be the same distance from bottoming out on one side or the other. the main thing it's going to change is air pressure at a given ride height. with it pushing on the piston side there is less cross-sectional surface area for the air to push against to create lifting force so it will require a higher PSI for a given height than if they were set up the other way.
xinsertnamex   +1y
He is a video i made two nights ago its real shitty quality (camera phone) but should help some people see how it works
bagdb2200   +1y
Here's some pics to add to the collection.This is Doug@StreetIssueCustoms Blazer.It has 4" bore, 6" stroke SMC actuators. The rockers are 2:1 ratio and it gets exactly 12" of lift, no loss in either arc of travel

post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
low_blazer   +1y
Originally posted by Low_SST

Originally posted by LayedOutDreams

Originally posted by DroptSdime

Originally posted by Master Fabber

Correct me if Im wrong, and I dont know jack about cylinders, Isnt that last pic going to lower the truck as air is filled?

No. They're dual acting cylinders. You can put compressed air into either side of the cylinder so it can lift the truck as the cylinder collapses, or as it extends depending on how you setup the rocker arm/bell crank/pivots or whatever.

Exactly. With the airline connected to that side of the cylinder, when you feed it air, it will pull the piston into the cylinder and therefore be pushing down on the axle and raising the truck.

but thats stupid because its removing the travel as the truck is lifted and NEEDS the travel while driving. you catch my flow yo

What?

Cylinders travel in a in pure linear motion..the same amount of travel in either direction..so you cant "lose travel" by mounting them one way or the other. The only down side to having the cylinders pull on the crank instead of push is that it will take more pressure to get it to move, due to less surface area of the piston and a smaller volume on the shaft side of the cylinder...no travel is lost though...at all.
layedoutdreams   +1y
Edited: 10/8/2007 4:49:42 PM by LayedOutDreams

Originally posted by lowlux86aust

Edited: 10/3/2007 7:19:20 PM by lowlux86aust

I like that setup! The design is so simple and clean, nice work
post photo