American Cars \  crown vic pics

crown vic pics

American Cars General Discussions
views 5799
replies 84
following 23

sotex   +1y
Originally posted by simple4door

Oooohh yeah! Perfect! If I'm ever elected President, I'll be riding in one of these with the secret service driving.
post photo
post photo
post photo
Bigrick31   +1y
Can someone tell me if these cars need a lot of backspacing on their wheels in order to lay frame? my main concern is with the front wheels not tucking inside the fenders. I was thinking i may need something like a 7" wide wheel with 6+" of backspacing or something proportional. is this correct or am i mistaken?
20runner   +1y
my Lincoln is a 2003 and for some reason, FORD decided to change the entire chassis for that year. My car takes a front wheel drive offset wheel, the 2002 and older take a medium to zero offset. my 22's are 8.5 wide with a +35 offset. For the rear with the stock straight axle, there was NO WAY that this offset would have tucked the quarters. That's another, of many reasons, I did independent. I didn't want to narrow my axle because I hate the way it looks when aired up.
I think my quarters have more flare to them and the actual body towards the rear is narrower than a Crown Vic, so maybe they would tuck for you.. I would have had to narrow my rearend 3" each side to get as low as I intend to go. The rear suspension on my car is setup to lay body, just haven't cut the wheelwells out yet.
Bigrick31   +1y
what did you end up getting the IRS out of?
HarryBalls   +1y
Originally posted by RangerOn18Cobras

This is a friend of mines.....it lays flat on 20s.....body lays in the back. It's 2 linked from the rear(h link design) with a fuel cell, full drive shaft tunnel and door jambs are tubbed. The front has one off uppers and modified lowers moved up and back.
post photo
Bigrick31   +1y
Originally posted by HarryBalls

Originally posted by RangerOn18Cobras

This is a friend of mines.....it lays flat on 20s.....body lays in the back. It's 2 linked from the rear(h link design) with a fuel cell, full drive shaft tunnel and door jambs are tubbed. The front has one off uppers and modified lowers moved up and back.

can you tell me the specs of the wheels? they are 20x? with how much backspacing? and what size tire? this would really help out.
post photo
PimpinMidgets   +1y
Mine is running 22s with 35+ offset (i think) with 245/30/22 tires....it lays out front to back (front on engine xmember) custom made upper control arms..mustang II spindles with stock lowers....out back its got a parrellel 4 link with a panhard....step notched tubbed doors, drive shaft tunnel, in the front the hood had to be cut to accomodate the tires when it lays out....if you have any questions I can take some pix of it
20runner   +1y
Yeah, a +35 offset on the older frames/susension should definately work well. With mine, the tire almost grabs the fender when laying it out. A +35 would be nice on the older frames cuz you could probably drive low and still turn. I was thinking about getting an older TC for that frame, because I wanted to run wheels with big lips, but I like the look of the 2003+ Town Car's better, and I like rack and pinion, less bushings and ball joints to wear out. A problem that I am facing is that my front ALUMINUM crossmember / cradle, hangs about 1.5" LOWER than the car is set up to lay. Gonna take a lot of work to get the front of mine to lay body. But it will get down, as soon as I finish my next little project so I can have something else cool to drive while I tear this down AGAIN. For now, I just want to drive and enjoy the car, since I drove it straight home from buying it and tore it all apart for months while working on other people's rides.

Oh and --BIGRICK31, the IRS is out of a 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII. I had to widen everything 6 inches though.

If anyone has a 2003+ Town Car, Grand Marquis, Crown Victoria, etc and wants to do IRS the EASY WAY, let me know. My cradle bolts in to 2 stock holes in frame towards the front and you can just level the subframe up, drill 4 more holes, and notch your frame for the control arms, make upper shock mounts, and be done. I'd sell my entire rear suspension for the right price..... I want to try something different, but only if someone wants to buy it.
PimpinMidgets   +1y
I was unaware that they changed the frames till you had mentioned it. thats crazy. I have the same problem with the engine x member...it hanging low that is...mine is not aluminum however. The thing with mine is that the engine x member hits at EXACTLY the sametime the tires will rub on the hood SKIN....so I really cant do anything about it...

The funny thing was I had a towncar I wanted to cut up a while ago..I had to buy a house so i got rid of it..so then I decided...ill still build a bigbody ford...just a cheaper initial investment. I def like the look of the 03 towncar man...looks kick ass
Bigrick31   +1y
so I found a set of 18" charger police wheels that will fit my car only thing is that they only have +31 offset can I get by with that or is the other +4 offset really crucial?