Page 13 of 20
Dually Projects \  The Fat Girl 86', C30, 3+3, dually, bagged, SFBDed on 22.5"s

The Fat Girl 86', C30, 3+3, dually, bagged, SFBDed on 22.5"s

Dually Projects
views 79648
replies 193
following 33

john-e bravada   +1y
Went out to work on the bed some more and got distracted by pretty lights. First one was the LED dome light. After new jam switches it lit up bright as can be. Next I ended up swapping in a 89' diesel dash to get the higher oil pressure gauge and the electronic speedo. To swap to the higher pressure gauge it required a new sender. While I was working next to the injection pump I put another turn on the power screw. We'll see how that runs. I put red LEDs in for the back lighting while I was in the dash. I also wired up the tach, pyro and boost gauge back lighting, also red LED. Then it was on to roof lights. I swapped to GM400 lights and LEDs up there. So the bed's still not done but she looks cool in the dark:)
thread post photo
watahyahknow   +1y
be carefull when doing that sortah stuff on a dieselpump , there is a possibillity the engine can "run away"

usually its caused by engineoil being sucked intoo the intake ( oilseal breaking on a turbo amongst other things) but allso if the governor fail to return back to stationairy deu to the rpm or its springs being too weak , the ruff ruff ruff ruff you sumtimes hear with a tuned diesel running stationairy is the covernor going in and out trying to controll the amount of diesel injected intoo the engine and being close to the edge of out of controll the engine usually only slowly go down in rpm too when you let of the gas
tuning a dieselpump is a balancing act between quite a few settings
talk to a guy that rebuilds pumps you might be able to do the rebuild/mods youreself using his guidance but you need him for sure to tune it so it doesnt selfdestruct

only option when standing next to the ran away engine is trow stuff intoo the intake to smother the engine prolly killing the turbo in the process or when driving either put on the brakes realy hard while in high gear and hope that can stop the vehicle against the engine pulling like a freighttrain or declutch and pull over fast with the engine screaming and smoking while hoping the scrapnel dont fly before youre out and away from the vehicle
john-e bravada   +1y
That's why any time I do power screw adjustment the air cleaner is unhooked from the turbo and I have a chunk of 2x6 at the ready and I have practiced. The ICed ve pumped Cummins have such small injectors its hard to get them to run away. Not that I'm taking it for granted. The plan is once I have help I'll turn it all the way till it runs away then back it down a turn or two.
tutt   +1y
how are you getting tach signal?
john-e bravada   +1y

My donor truck had this tach in it. It's a dealer installed option from back in 91'. It has a mag pickup reading two notches on the harmonic balancer.
thread post photo
linkenhoker123   +1y
Freakin' awesome build!!! I've got to get off my @$$ and get mine into the garage!
zakmann   +1y
how thick are your adapters? i was planning on going half inch but may re consider now, they look like 3/4
john-e bravada   +1y
They are 3/4". Half just didn't feel right. It would help with the lug nut engagement issue. I had to chamfer the holes really deep to get enough engagement.
watahyahknow   +1y
wouldnt it help to put dually lugtreads in the hubs ?
there a little longer , its a bit of work to mount them though as the hubs need to come of

think people upgrading to diskbrakes on the rear have the same problem
john-e bravada   +1y
What are dually lugthreads, thread in studs? I put discs on the rear and it's an issue there too.