Page 14 of 20
Dually Projects \  The Fat Girl 86', C30, 3+3, dually, bagged, SFBDed on 22.5"s

The Fat Girl 86', C30, 3+3, dually, bagged, SFBDed on 22.5"s

Dually Projects
views 79649
replies 193
following 33

john-e bravada   +1y
I've been distracted lately with waste oil heaters, centrifuges, and moving snow. I think I'm finally ready to get back to work on this thing. I need a better gas tank then the 5gal can behind my seat... I was going to modify my old gas tank but I wanted more capacity. I'm going to try running waste motor oil thru my 12v so I want to be able to carry as much as possible on board. So I started in last night on my 34gal 14ga tank. So far so good. I only screwed up one cut:) I has 48" sheets of 14ga so the tank will be made in two sections. This will allows me to drop the rear section down a little to act as a sump. The big notch out of the rear section is to clear my 4-link bracket.

thread post photo

thread post photo
watahyahknow   +1y
with dually studs i meant the longer ones when you stack two one ton truckrims on top of another you need a bit more treads than with a regulair one ton rim

nice so youre going to run motoroil biodiesel or the pure grease straight from the fryer ?
i suggest biodiesel as the newer fuelrail dieselengines work with verry high pressures and realy tiny holes in the injectors
out here where its cold all of the time we have to install heatexchangers too , think they use parts of a volkwagen diesel for that

here is the link there german and it prolly will take ages for you to get stuff in the states

i done some busines with them and there realy knowlegable salespeople real good on their promisses and garanties too
john-e bravada   +1y
No vegie for me. It takes so much pre heating I'm just going to run straight WMO. Bio seems like a loosing proposition, too much time and material investment. I'll cut the oil with gas down to the viscosity of diesel, centrifuge it and run it, at least that's the theory. Some guys run it 50/50 with diesel some run it straight. I'm hoping to get the 100% to work. Nothing like $0.30/gal fuel!
watahyahknow   +1y
wow , oh whell those hotrodded dieseltrucks usually smoke so a bit of black engineoil wouldnt make a difference to the carbon output the earth savers will prolly bust a gut screaming at you blacking out the sky though

the pure fryergrease , rapeseed- sunflower- or letus-oil gets used here too usually mixed in with straight diesel depending on the temperature , they still use extra switchable tanks with regulair diesel as a sudden frost will change the liquid in the greasetank intoo goop
they start and warm up on regulair then switch and switch back to regulair a minute or so before shutting down

when i was thinking about using grease i planned on using a webasto interiorheater as a prestart preheater
usually it heats the coolant in the engine and the heatercore but theres no reason you cant use it to run cooland through copper lines inside the tank before routing it trough the engine

even with motoroil you might still need to use silicone or abs plastic hoses to prevent them dissolving and you will have to stock up on some fuelfilters and mount the one you have in the truck at an eazy to reach spot preverable not leaking on anything important or hot while changing underway
if the diesel youre using has a mecanical pump it might help to put a electric pump inline before the mecanical so when you can prime the air out of the system faster after changing a filter

i seen some real nice biodiesel plants over time
this one is reasonably clean and eazy to use

when making biodiesel its important to wash it a couple of times to get the lye out (it eats the metal gubbins in the pump and injectors ) and have the alcohol evaporate (or it eat the rubber lines )

the problem using sumtin like this biodiesel plant in a city area is if you dont tell the neighbours they might think youre cooking meth or shine and you wake up having a swat team breaking down the frontdoor at 2 in the morning following an anonymous tip
if you do tell they prolly complain to the police or inviromental inspectors anyway

i actually seen systems that process animal fat (consistency of butter basicly) into biodiesel they need everything heated to keep the stuff flowing though untill its done

over here propane is about a thirth of the price of diesel so using that is an option too , nice thing about that is that it adds power too
john-e bravada   +1y
Well a little more work on the air system has gotten me to this. Comp and steering pump joined and installed. I still have to tie into the heater hoses to plumb the coolant to the head. I have hoses coming to hook up the hydroboost and the air. Due to the size of this thing I'm going to have to remake my charge air tube but that will force me to put in ports for the intake air and water meth injectors. I still need to make a res for the PS.
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
john-e bravada   +1y
I also pulled my turbo and ordered a rebuild kit to put my Hybrid HX35/H1E together. This will end up as my secondary for the triples:) I also tapped another hole in the manifold for drive pressure. I saved a couple bucks and made my own dynamic timing spacer.
thread post photo

thread post photo
john-e bravada   +1y
I almost forgot pics of the fuel tank. It's all welded and pressure tested. I put it in to test the fit and realized I never put a fill port in it... That's a problem!
thread post photo

thread post photo
tutt   +1y
that compressor is awesome! i haven't seen that before. Whats it off of? That is WAY cleaner than hanging a york off the side of something.

what are you doing for vacuum?
tutt   +1y
The PS pump looks pretty interesting too.

So does the compressor always pump, or is there a way to control it with a pressure switch?
john-e bravada   +1y
No vacuum, my hvac will have to be all mechanical. The compressor's off an ISX 5.9L Cummins. The PS pump is actually off an 8.3L Cummins out of a FL70 Freightliner. It's just an A-pad gear pump with an internal pressure regulator. The compressor runs when the engine is turning but has an internal bypass valve once it comes up to pressure. It runs off a Governor just like a big truck. Once it comes up to pressure I'll get that PISSST, you hear from semis'