threads
Page 6 of 7
Mini Truckin General \  WYOTECH. . . . . . .. .

WYOTECH. . . . . . .. .

Mini Truckin General General Discussions
views 2278
replies 65
following 45

sccustoms   +1y
i thought about wyotech, but i decided to go to greenville technical college in greenville, SC. i love it and i'm glad because i'm learning a helluva lot. and i'm not gonna say wyotech is not as good cause i don't go there. i'm sure it's a good school, but we also have don jacks as our street rod instructor, if yhou don't know who he is, he is one of the best street rod builder in the country, he is also a judge for boyds top 25 at the street rod nats every year. and it's cheaper than wyotech. and i guarantee that i'm learning just as much as anyone at wyotech doing autobody and streetrod fab.
jeff davy   +1y
I see alot of wyotech students. Most but not all of them end up with a large mellon and a big mounth because they think that they went to wyotech and now the can walk on water. How ever if you go there PAY ATTENTION You can learn a lot. Go with the intent to learn not just go and be a number or float your way threw. Make a challege to yourself and use what you learn in school towards the stuff that you build even if it not on the same vehicle. Ask why? Ask what if? When you get out look for a good place to work where you can learn and get paid. Keep in mind you make the big bucks when you have time fabricating under your belt. Not a semester at school. And Good Luck.
humanmachinehead   +1y
I plan on going to wyotech next year sometime after i finish up my AFA here. As far as people saying get work at a shop to learn this stuff, i'm from a town out in BFE in NC, there are no custom shops anywhere around me, and the only body shops around are shops that think bondo fixs everything. I have ZERO experiance in fabrication, any knowledge i have is from reading or talking to people. Wyotech is my only option to have anything to do with custom work. Yea its a s*** load of money, but its all about how bad you want it
junebug1   +1y

junebug1   +1y

So is Wyotech a good school are what??????? i Really wanna go there but i jus hear so many good things and bad so wats wats. How are the hours there do we get a break in thoes eight hours???? and is there a food court or cafeteria there and do we have to pay?????? last but not least wassup with the living???????
dillinja666   +1y

---------------------------------------------Originally posted by ShortyzKustomzEdited: 12/8/2005 3:06:36 PM by ShortyzKustomzI didnt learn a thing in the buisness class or refinishing class, I did get alot better at welding and collision, And I learned alot in Street Rod... I will def say Street Rod made the other BS worth it, I did my shaved bodyline and made my skin and fillers in that class too, heres some pics http://www.nissanminis.com/album_personal.php?user_id=7211 Alot of the people that went there and said it was worthless didn't work hard there, Atleast alot of the ones I've dealt with. They goof off the whole time and act like they know more then everyone, Those are the people that bash the school. (Not everyone that dislikes the school is like this) I'll admit there is alot of BS. Alot of the rules and such suck, like wrecking a lowered truck on the way to school and them taking points for being late. But Street Rod will help me in the future...All in all if they just offered Street Rod and Chassis fab and you didnt have to take a core class, It would be much better.---------------------------------------------I did just the chassis fab and engine performance class at wyotech ONLY in sacramento.  I was the first person the offered that to.  I had been a mechanic for a few years at that point and doing the rest of the core classes would  have been a real waste of money for me.  I talked to the people there and they let me take the welding and chassis fab class for a pretty good price.  I was only there for only 3 months or whatever the unit time is ( it was a few years ago so things are a litte hazy..too much beer )  As far as I know I am the only person to do this, but it is an option I guess.  I would suggest giving them a call and see if they will cut you a deal.  It was worth it, i learned a lot but if had to take the entire core classes and everything i wouldn't have gone.  just my 2 cents
dillinja666   +1y
Edited: 12/1/2009 2:18:23 PM by dillinja666

---------------------------------------------Originally posted by junebug1So is Wyotech a good school are what??????? i Really wanna go there but i jus hear so many good things and bad so wats wats. How are the hours there do we get a break in thoes eight hours???? and is there a food court or cafeteria there and do we have to pay?????? last but not least wassup with the living???????---------------------------------------------food court no.. we would hop in our trucks and go down the freeway and grab food at this huge shopping center.  Living was interesting, i took the night courses so i was in school from 6pm-2am.  I stayed in Davis with all the other wyotech guys in this apartment complex thats supposed to be for davis students but wyotech kinda secured it for the students.  Rent there was cheap, the place was small and sucked and I spent most of my time drinking with the other wyotech guys there and getting harrassed by the police.  The police station was like 2 blocks away.  I had a blast outside of class raising hell in Davis.  We would show up to the G street pub just before last call and grab a couple beers, then try to get girls to come back with us to the apartment thing and party all night long since we were sleeping all day.  good times.    edit: i want to say all the crazy wyotechers stayed at the tanglewood apartments in davis..i could be wrong though..but that seems familiar
blownsvt   +1y

i went to wyotech about 4 years ago... i actualy think i learned alot, yea it was alot of money and you could def learn the stuff through apprenticeships or something but i wouldnt take it back. i enjoyed it and i am a firm believer in, you get out of it, what you put in it. so if you go in thinking your billy badass mini trucker and know everything, you wont learn much of anything, but if you go in with an open mind and work your ass off and dont act like its still high school youll learn alot and get alot out of it. i know of 3 wyotech grads that work for IMO the best and most amazing rod/custom shop in the world (Rad Rides by Troy) and one of them (levi) is BY FAR the most amazing metal fab person i have EVER EVER EVER EVER seen. so basicly yes its a ton of money but it is a good school and if you wanna go to school for it, its def worth it if you work your ass off.
bukfidy   +1y
Im sure you can learn alot at wyotech....But why pay 32,000...when they offer Auto body, chassis fab, welding, classes at almost any community college for like 20 bucks a unit. per semester.                 I know alot of places that wont even hire wyotech students....simply cuz they went to wyotech!!!
CamberOz   +1y
---------------------------------------------Originally posted by junebug1So is Wyotech a good school are what??????? i Really wanna go there but i jus hear so many good things and bad so wats wats. How are the hours there do we get a break in thoes eight hours???? and is there a food court or cafeteria there and do we have to pay?????? last but not least wassup with the living???????--------------------------------------------- simple answer to this is you will get out of it what you put into it  I did not care for the schools administration whatsoever...  very unprofessional all around