threads
Page 7 of 7
Mini Truckin General \  WYOTECH. . . . . . .. .

WYOTECH. . . . . . .. .

Mini Truckin General General Discussions
views 2286
replies 65
following 45

cajuntaco   +1y

Wow, I just read all this and I didn't realize Wyotech was soo expensive.  I've got WAY less than $32,000 into 4 yrs at LSU and I got my Mechanical Engineering degree.  Only 3 more years and I'll have my Professional Engineering License.  Already got my Fundamental Engineer License. As far as school, some people need it to get started, some of us don't.  I grew up in my dad's automotive shop.  After we left there we went home to the garage to work on classics, hotrods, whatever project he was building at the time.  I learned "general auto tech" at the shop and learned the custom side at home.  I'm very fortunate for having these experiences, but some people don't have that option and school is the best way to get there foot in the door. To say you won't get a job out of school is BS.  But I can tell you at my dad's shop it doesn't matter if you're fresh out of high school, or fresh from UTI, Wyotech, etc.  You're going to start at $10/hr sweeping the floors.  This is to test your "drive"  If you want to do this, you'll put up with it and you'll get your chance.  Now if you went to school they'll throw you on your own faster, but you'll be expected to produce more work at a higher quality than a kid who is apprenticing.  Probably start by helping another bodyman and when he feel your ready to go on your own, you will.  My dad's body guys have a minimum of 15 yrs in the industry.  But one of his painters has 2 yrs on his own.  He apprenticed for 2 yrs while he went to Comm College.  Most young guys come in the shop with this "I know everything" attitude and that won't last 1 month.  You may sweep floors for 1 month or 6.  It depends on your drive and want.  The professionals in the industry know when your ready and you'll move up, but a lot has to do with attitude.
two81ʹs   +1y

I didnt go to wyo tech but i did go to UTI.Your paying for the name.The auto,diesel,industrial program that i took was 26k. Through grants and other loans,i'm only paying back 18k.Iwas making around 20k before i left and now im making 60k a year without overtime.Its all on how you apply yourself in school and out. 
junebug1   +1y

OHK YOU GUYS GAVE ME THE PROS AND THE CONS ABOUT WYOTECH BUT I WANNA GO TO A SCHOOL THAT TEACHES ME HOW TO CUSTOMIZE CARS BUILD THEM FROM THE GROUND UP I WANNA OWN A SHOP LIKE WILL CASTROL OFF UNIQUE WHIPS SO GIVE ME SOME IDEALS AND SOME MORE SCHOOLS THAT TEACHES THIS MATERIL BESIDES WYOTECH PLEASE AND THANK YOU

CamberOz   +1y
check out the Acoustic Edge Institute http://www.stereoschool.com/  
humanmachinehead   +1y
I went to Wyotech PA, and i loved it.  ANY school you go to, you get out what you put in.  I went in barely able to change my own oil, and left with a 3/4 tube chasis.  And now i'm working for a restoration shop in Charlotte NC.  I've been doing alot of work on a 65 Impala for a Carolina Panthers player, and I'm welding in a whole new suspension for a 68 mustang.  So you'll def learn alot if you don't go in all high and mighty like i saw alot of people do.  those are the people that talk shit about it most of the time, cause they assume they knew it all before they went
FireCrotch   +1y

ua went to the one in Pa. i liked it but it was often way too rushed.  I did learn a lot but honestly could have learned all the same stuff from friends and a local vocational school.  Well besides the trim end.